California's Best Kept Secret
A Classic Southern California Beach Town
Oceanside is a true SoCal beach town with a tangible laid-back vibe. The city boasts spectacular year-round weather, gorgeous beaches, an historic wooden pier, quaint New England-style harbor, and charming bungalow neighborhoods.
O’side (as locals affectionately call it) is a destination of discovery where you can explore everything from awe-inspiring sea life through exciting ocean adventures, California history at the “King of Missions,” and surf culture at the California Surf Museum. As a playful and diverse destination, we value personal expression and originality, inviting you to play in a real SoCal beach town and Respect the O’riginals.
Centrally located in the heart of Southern California, this beach town is perfectly situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, making it easy to visit family-favorite attractions such as LEGOLAND California Resort, Disneyland California Resort, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
Oceanside blends a wealth of balanced living with stunning oceanfront living in diverse beachside homes. The City’s top employment industries include career technology and biotech manufacturing titans Genentech and Gilead Sciences, along with top industry tourism, restaurant, retail, distribution and life science employers. North County additionally enjoys the benefit of community education stalwarts such as MiraCosta College and California State University San Marcos (CSUSM).
The City boasts local transit centers and transportation stops featuring light rail ridership along Amtrack; Metrolink; Sprinter and the Coaster tracks. Public transportation options streamline transportation along the I78 corridor, as well as between Downtown San Diego; Orange County and Los Angeles for employees, local residents and tourists.
With an estimated 170,791 residents in 2017, recent population estimates show the City had the largest residential population among I78 corridor communities in 2017. Another 68,000 military personnel and/or their immediate families live and work in the nearby community of Camp Pendleton, CA.
EVENTS and THINGS TO DO IN OCEANSIDE
- A popular and prestigious surfside tradition is the Annual World Bodysurfing Championships, which takes place in August at the Oceanside Pier and Beach. International and U.S. bodysurfers, equipped with only a pair of swimming fins, ride and perform on waves as they compete for the prestigious championship title.
- One of the oldest of the Ironman’s, the Ironman Oceanside attracts a large number of professional athletes for the 1.2 mile swim in Oceanside Harbor, a 56-mile bike ride through the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base and a 13.1-mile run along the Pacific Ocean.
- Mission San Luis Rey is the setting for the Annual Inter-tribal Powwow, hosted by the San Luis Rey Luiseno Mission Indians. Tribal members from all over the U.S. come to share their culture with the community. One highlight of the event is the fancy and grass dancing competition. The tribes also showcase their artwork, crafts, jewelry and food.
- San Diego County’s largest festival of its kind, Dia de los Muertos at Mission San Luis Rey is a day for remembering and honoring deceased loved ones, with over 20 community altars and visitor-created chalk altars. It’s a time of celebration with traditional food and a carnival for the kids.
- Whale Watching Whale and dolphin watching excursions are available year-round from the Harbor. Enjoy a private trip with a few friends or join in with a large group as you see some of the most amazing ocean wildlife in the world. After your excursion, you can enjoy any one of a number of great restaurants in the beautiful Harbor.- Book Your Whale Watching Trip
- Oceanside Sunset Market – Sunset Market – Food and music abound at this very popular outdoor market just steps from the pier. The family friendly event features live entertainment and a wide array of ethnic and traditional hot foods offering to tempt you – be sure to come for dinner and stay for the sunset. Includes 170 booths of shopping, fresh and ready gourmet baked goods and pre-packaged specialty goods to take home, locally grown produce and floral, kids activities and more – something for everyone!
Thursday evenings, 5:00 – 9:00 pm.
Pier View Way and Coast Highway
The mainstays of the economy have been tourism and the proximity of Camp Pendleton. However, Oceanside currently enjoys a diverse economic portfolio and has a number of business advantages. To encourage new investment in the City, an incentive plan for new commercial, industrial and office construction is available and the property tax is one of the lowest in the county. Oceanside has a large sporting and recreational goods manufacturing sector as well as a large number of biotech and medtech companies. Agriculture is also important to the economy. San Diego County is a major agricultural producer and the warm climate makes it ideal for the growing of tomatoes, avocados, citrus fruit, nursery stock, and flowers.
Today, O’side is a thriving coastal community that provides all of the conveniences of a modern city without the disadvantages. Located just 35 miles north of San Diego and 83 miles south of Los Angeles, the city offers a unique combination of outstanding coastal location, well-priced available land and multiple resources. California’s main highway, Interstate 5, runs through Oceanside, as does Highway 78, which provides southeast access to Interstate 15. Highway 76, which runs northeast, also provides access to Interstate 15. With the Los Angeles area to the north and the San Diego/Tijuana area to the south, O’side enjoys proximity to all major Southern California destinations, while at the same time maintaining its coastal beauty and autonomy.
Considered the gateway city between metropolitan San Diego and Los Angeles, our near-perfect climate invites visitors to revel and relax at the 3.5 miles of white sandy beaches this beautiful town has to offers. Step back in time by visiting the historic Mission San Luis Rey de Francia, the “King of the Missions”, and Heritage Park. Whatever your preference, recreational opportunities in Oceanside complement every lifestyle.
Standing 1,942 feet long, the historical Oceanside Pier is one of the most iconic landmarks in our city! Loved by visitors and locals alike, the wooden pier is the perfect location to take a leisurely stroll, go fishing, watch surfers or grab a bite to eat at the charming restaurant located at the very end.
Since it’s original construction in 1888, the Pier continues to serve as the backdrop for signature O’side events, including concerts and performances at the outdoor amphitheater, surf competitions, the IRONMAN triathlon and more. From morning until evening, the Pier is also a great spot to enjoy our coastline’s natural beauty while taking in views of wildlife, the glistening Pacific Ocean and of course those breathtaking sunsets! Whatever may bring you to Oceanside, the Pier is without a doubt the perfect spot to go for that next O’side memory.
|Oceanside Chamber of Commerce||www.oceansidechamber.com|
|Oceanside Historical Society||www.oceansidehistoricalsociety.org|
|Oceanside Municipal Airport||www.oceansidemunicipalairport.com/|
|Oceanside Municipal Golf Course||www.playoceansidegolf.com
|Oceanside Museum of Art||oma-online.org|
|Old Mission San Luis Rey||www.sanluisrey.org|
Sell or Locate Your Ideal Home
Updated Oceanside Real Estate Listings
Search find and Save Your favorite condos, townhomes, ADU’s, land for rent and homes for sale in Oceanside, San Diego and North County. Also Research Oceanside’s Real Estate Market Trends!
Use the tool below to find The Current and latest New Homes, Active, Expired or even Sold Listings in Oceanside!
Our team is here to help you find your dream home.
If you are looking to sell your home in Oceanside, feel free to contact us, and
Don’t forget to ask for your Complimentary Area Market Reports!