DEL MAR -
Coastal Beauty. European Charm
Since the legendary days of Hollywood’s golden years, Del Mar has been the destination of choice for many a movie star as well as those with a taste for fast horses, beautiful beaches and award-winning cuisine. Along with the Del Mar Fairgrounds, home to the Del Mar Races and San Diego County Fair, the historic and charming Del Mar Village offers a variety of unique shops, renowned restaurants, and luxury and beach-style hotels, many with spectacular views of the Del Mar beaches below. Saturday’s farmers’ market is also a great place to pick up the freshest and finest produce, flowers and seafood the region has to offer.
A a picturesque seaside hideaway, rich in history, striking natural beauty and European charm. Located just 20 miles north of San Diego on the Southern California coastline, Del Mar Village is unique in its offering of a vibrant small-town atmosphere, sprawling natural playground along the Pacific Ocean and the casual sophistication of a world-class destination. Defined by its exceptional year-round weather, sea salt lagoons on each end, fabulous beaches, world famous thoroughbred racetrack, fine dining and luxurious shopping, it is a dream destination to reside in as well as visit
Home to the Del Mar Racetrack, “where the surf meets the turf,” this beach town springs to life during summer racing season as the rich and famous descend to place their bets. Year-round, the family-friendly beaches and Torrey Pines State Park provide visitors and residents with plenty of outdoor fun. Upscale shopping and fine dining keep residents and visitors entertained.
First renowned during the golden era of the movie industry, this idyllic city was the retreat for Hollywood’s biggest movie stars who came to enjoy its peaceful ambiance, pristine beaches, and exhilarating thoroughbred horseracing. Today, the historic Village attracts residents and visitors from across the globe seeking tranquility, breathtaking vistas, stunning sandstone canyons, beach and other recreational activities and award-winning cuisine with spectacular ocean views. Del Mar Village attracts visitors from across the globe seeking pristine beaches, award-winning cuisine with spectacular ocean views, unique shops, and boutique hotels. It is also home to the renowned Del Mar Racetrack and San Diego County Fair.
Residents and visitors can Explore the Village without ever needing a car. The collection of unique, independent shops and services, upscale and casual restaurants and boutique hotels is accessible on foot throughout the heart of the Village. The Village is also easily navigated on a bicycle
Del Mar has many local events such as Summer Solstice (June), Twilight Summer Concerts (June-September), Taste of Del Mar (September), Santa by the Sea (December), Farmers Market (Saturdays every week) and much more! Del Mar is also home to the renowned Del Mar Racetrack which brings the excitement of thoroughbred horse racing events during the summer and fall racing seasons and the San Diego Fairgrounds that host the hugely popular San Diego County Fair and many other special events throughout the year.
There are about two plus miles of fine sandy beaches in making it perfect for sunbathing, walking, or having a picnic. Del Mar City Beach is the most popular, and its northern part between the River Mouth and 15th street is considered the best in the entire San Diego area, with moderate surf and great swimming. Across from the racetrack is a popular dog-friendly beach, naturally called Dog Beach. It is located where San Dieguito River empties into the sea, creating a broad expanse of sand perfect for volleyball. It is not the best for swimming because of strong currents and shallow sandbars, and the beaches are dog-friendly.
Del Mar has the only beach in the country with specially designed wheel chairs for the sand so everyone can enjoy the shimmering coastal waters.
And don’t forget to Watch for dolphins in the surf, frequently spotted just past the waves.
- Del Mar is Spanish for “of the sea” or “by the sea,” which reflects its location on the coast of the Pacific Ocean
- The City was incorporated in 1959 and is the smallest incorporated city in San Diego County, with a population of 4,500 tucked into 2.1-square-miles
- The area is one of only two locations where the rare Torrey Pine tree grows. The only other population of the endangered Pinus torreyana can be found on Santa Rosa Island, a California Channel Island off the coast of Santa Barbara.
- Del Mar’s climate is considered Mediterranean-subtropical with warm, dry summers and mild, humid winters. It is considered one of the most desirable climates in the United States. Temperatures rarely exceed 85 °F (29 °C) or drop below 41 °F (5 °C) throughout the year. The average yearly temperature in Del Mar is approximately 65 °F (18 °C).
- A steep, wooden staircase leads up to Scripps Bluff Preserve on 80-foot bluffs allowing for some of the best views of the coastline.
This Beach City is considered to be one of the best places to live in California. Living in Del Mar offers residents an urban suburban mix feel and most residents own their home, Many retirees live in Del Mar and residents tend to lean conservative.
With a 2020 population of 4,287, it is the 435th largest city in California and the 5220th largest city in the United States Spanning over 2 miles, Del Mar has a population density of 2,491 people per square mile. The average household income in Del Mar is $216,644 with a poverty rate of 5.24%. The median rental costs in recent years comes to $2,320 per month, and the median house value is $2.00 Mn. The median age in Del Mar is 49.4 years, 50.4 years for males, and 48.5 years for females. For every 100 females there are 97.6 males. The population density in Del Mar Heights is 33% lower than San Diego .The median age in Del Mar Heights is 33% higher than San Diego
The public schools are highly rated. For the 2021 school year, there are 8 public schools in Del Mar Union Elementary School District, serving 4,451 students. Del Mar Union Elementary School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in California. – The top ranked public schools in Del Mar Union Elementary School District are Ocean Air, Carmel Del Mar Elementary School and Del Mar Heights Elementary School. Overall testing rank is based on a school’s combined math and reading proficiency test score ranking. Del Mar Union School District is a premier district in the nation!
Video courtesy of SoiClave Media
DEL MAR DEMOGRAPHICS
- Total Population 12,819
- Median Age of Residents:51.37
- Median Commute Time:21 minutes
- Homes with Children:21.80%
- Average Family Size:2.00
- Total Population in Families:3,731
- Increase in Residents Income:54.96%↑
- Average Household Income $213,848
- Average Education Reached :Graduate DegreE
- Per Capita Income $96,856
- Average Home Value $1,585,976
also include 4S Ranch, Torrey Highlands, Torrey Pines, Sorrento Valley, UTC, Del Mar Heights Pacific Highland Ranch
NEARBY CITIES, TOWNS NEIGHBORHOODS TO DEL MAR
Solana Beach (1.99 miles)
Cardiff By The Sea (3.66 miles)
San Diego (5.42 miles)
Encinitas (5.74 miles)
Rancho Santa Fe (6.14 miles)
La Jolla (6.97 miles)
Carlsbad (8.92 miles)
Poway (13.70 (miles)
San Marcos (14.04 miles)
Vista (14.86 miles)
Oceanside (16.22 miles)
Olivenhain, CA (6.25 miles)
Leucadia, CA (7.81 miles)
Things to Do in Del Mar
Resources, highlights and information
- DEL MAR DOG BEACH is a unique place where people and their dogs can experience the freedom to walk, play, interact with other dogs and their owners, and enjoy the amazing beauty of the San Diego coastline. Located on the border of Del Mar and Solana Beach, and adjacent to the Fairgrounds, Dog Beach has achieved a reputation for its openness and friendly atmosphere. Dogs are allowed to roam leash-free except during the summer months from June 16 through Labor Day. And check out the LIVE Web Cam
- THE GRAND GOLF CLUB AT THE FAIRMONT GRAND DEL MAR – The only Tom Fazio-designed course is San Diego is The Grand Golf Club at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar. The par 71 course with over 7,000 yards of greens is strategically nestled in Del Mar’s meadows, hillsides and valleys. The course showcases Fazio’s unique style of bunker use with many deceptive bunkers hiding in the rolling hills.
- Free Flight Bird Sanctuary. Free Flight is a fun, hands-on bird sanctuary where exotic companion parrots interact with visitors of all ages in a small tropical oasis . They provide a special and unique environment to raise community awareness and to encourage positive interaction with these birds. Their goals are to re-socialize and rehome companion parrots and to educate the public about their complex mental, physical and emotional needs. They offer permanent sanctuary or re-homing depending upon what is in the best interest of each bird.
- TORREY PINES STATE NATURE RESERVE – Torrey Pines remains one of the wildest stretches of land on the Southern California coast with continual miles of unspoiled beaches, a lagoon which has been vital to migrating seabirds and the rare and picturesque Torrey pines, which is unique to this region.
- HISTORIC HIGHWAY 101 Drive down the coastline on Historic Highway 101 from laid-back Oceanside to luxurious La Jolla enjoying the diverse and vibrant coastal communities along the way that capture the true essence of a Southern California beach vacation. Historic Highway 101
- HOT AIR BALLOON RIDE Rise above it all, floating up to 3,000 feet on a clear day, and drift through the clouds in a hot air balloon ride while sipping champagne and enjoying panoramic views. Due to favorable wind conditions and unique geography, Del Mar is among the few places in the world where a balloon can fly both at sunrise and sunset.
- LOS PEÑASQUITOS CANYON PRESERVE Spanning over 4,000 acres, Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve’s natural beauty, rich natural resources and historical adobes make it a popular location for hiking and cycling. The protected preserve is also a great location for wildlife viewing, containing over 175 bird species, 500 plant varietals and rare reptiles, amphibians and mammals who reside within the canyon.
- DEL MAR RACES & BING CROSBY SEASONS – Del Mar is known both nationally and internationally for the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club and its premier horse racing track. Each year from late July through early September and in November, visitors from around the world gather at the seaside racetrack – founded and popularized by Hollywood legend Bing Crosby – to wager on their favorite horses. Fall Bing Crosby Season Summer Racing Season
- SAN DIEGO COUNTY FAIR The Del Mar Fairgrounds, which is also the site of the Del Mar Racetrack, offers a program of ongoing attractions throughout the year, the highlight of which is the San Diego County Fair, occurring from mid-June through early July. The San Diego Fair is San Diego’s oldest annual event and the sixth largest fair in the United States, drawing more than 1.4 million visitors annually. It features thrilling carnival rides, animals, woodworking and floral exhibits, a variety of concessions, top-line grandstand performers and an atmosphere that is uniquely Southern Californian.
- DEL MAR FARMERS MARKET – This Non Profit Farmers Market supports their Local Farmers, and is known for its international cuisine, meats, and seafood; seafood in particular is not something often found at a farmer’s market. The cheeses and antipasti offerings are also noteworthy. Visitors to the San Diego area might enjoy stopping at the DMFM to buy some goodies for a picnic basket and heading down to the beach for a tasty lunch with a view.
Find or Sell Homes for Sale in Del Mar
Search Below for updated Del Mar listings
Search find and Save Your favorite condos, townhomes, ADU’s, land for rent and Homes for Sale in Del Mar, San Diego and North County. Also Research Del Mar Real Estate Market Trends!
Use the tool below to find The Current and latest New Homes, Active, Expired or even Sold Listings in Del Mar!
Our team is here to help you find your dream home.
Live In Del Mar and want to sell? Contact us and we can help!
Don’t forget to ask for your Complimentary Area Market Reports!